Surrounding your entire property, not just the back yard, with a security fence helps to keep unauthorized people from walking across your property and peering in your windows, not to mention kids from trampling your flower beds and swimming in your pool. However, with a whole yard fence, you need a gate at the end of your driveway so you can enter and exit the garage.
While you can install a manual gate at the entrance to your driveway, opting for an electric gate offers a number of benefits, not the least of which is keeping you opt of the inclement weather.
Benefits of installing an electric gate
1. Added security. Because an electric gate is only able to be opened with a code or an opener, it's much more secure than a manual gate that could potentially be opened by thieves and vandals.
2. Convenience. An electric gate is easy to operate from you car. You don't have to exit the vehicle and be out in the rain, sleet, snow or extreme temperatures in your high heels. You simply press a button and the gate opens. An electronic eye senses when you have cleared the gate and signals for the gate to close securely behind you.
3. Added protection for kids and pets. Since you need a code or an electronic elite gate opener to activate the gate, your dog or child can't open it without your knowledge as they possibly could with a manual gate. Equally, unauthorized kids and pets can't enter your property unnoticed and potentially be injured or fall in your pool.
4. Insurance savings. Some insurance companies will give you a discount on your homeowner's insurance premiums when you install an electric gate, since this type of gate reduces the likelihood of a break-in.
5. Added curb appeal. An electric gate has a luxurious, formal look that can add to your property's overall curb appeal, making it more attractive to your visitors and to potential homebuyers when it comes time to put your house on the market. Good curb appeal can help you sell your home more quickly and for a higher sum.
While an electric gate is not the right solution for every homeowner with a fence surrounding his or her property, opting for an electric vs. a manual gate is convenient, adds extra security to your property and helps to protect your kids and pets.